Celebrate summer with this irresistible salmon poke bowl! Healthy protein infused with Japanese inspired flavours and a hint of spice for a delicious gourmet meal.
- 2 cups sushi rice, rinsed
- 1 cup water(240 mL), plus more for rinsing
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large avocado, finely sliced
- 500g sashimi-grade fresh salmon, cut into 1cm pieces
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3-4 radishes, finely sliced
- ½ red cabbage, finely sliced
- ½ cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 2 tablespoons pickled ginger, to serve
- 1-2 sheets of nori, to serve
- Add the rice to a strainer and submerge in a bowl filled with water, strain to remove excess starch.
- Transfer the rice to a medium pot and add 1 cup (240 ml) of water. Cover the pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork or rice paddle. Transfer the rice to a large bowl.
- Mix together the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt and pour over the rice while still hot. Gently fold the rice to incorporate. Cover and set aside until ready to assemble the bowl.
- Using a very sharp knife, gently slice the fresh salmon into 1 cm cubes.
- Just before assembly, place the salmon in a bowl and season with the soy sauce and lemon juice.
- To assemble, place a few spoonfuls of rice into each bowl. Top the rice with the seasoned salmon, avocado, cucumber, ginger, crumbled nori sheets, black sesame seeds.
- Dress with Souped-Up Sriracha Mayo