Chicken Pot Pie
This Chicken Pot Pie has a delicious buttery flaky crust and hearty savoury filling packed with chicken and veggies. It’s the ultimate cold-weather comfort food and can be made ahead of time too!
Gluten, grain, egg and nut free
- 1 cup cassava flour
- 100g cold, salted butter, cubed
- 4 Tbsp ice water
- 1 egg, whisked (for the egg wash)
- 700g chicken thigh
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 leek, diced
- 4 celery stems, diced
- 6-8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp Gevity Rx Curry Bone Broth
- 1 cup liquid vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp cassava flour
- 2-3 stems of fresh thyme
- Ghee for cooking
Optional add ins; curry powder, peas, chopped broccoli, corn, cubed potato or sweet potato, fresh parsley
- Cut the chicken into cubes and pop it into a large bowl and mix through the crushed garlic and let this sit and marinade while you prepare the veggies.
- Dice the carrots, leek and celery.
- Sauté the veggies in ghee until they’re softened and start to get some colour on them.
- Once the veggies are done, remove them from the pan and set aside.
- Add more ghee into the frying pan and add in the chicken and fry for a few minutes.
- Add in 2 Tbsp of the Gevity Rx Curry Bone Broth into the chicken + the bay leaves and thyme and stir through. Stir the veggies in and let simmer.
- In a small saucepan, add the vegetable stock + 1 Tbsp cassava flour and whisk through. Let this simmer for 10-15 minutes to reduce.
- Now pour the thickened stock into the chicken and veggie filling.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Add all pastry ingredients into a food processor and blend or pulse until the ingredients come together.
- Remove the mix from the food processor and roll it out evenly in between two pieces of baking paper.
- Transfer the chicken and veggie mixture into an oven proof dish.
- Transfer the pastry (with the bottom baking paper still attached for ease) and flip it on top of the filling and dish. Press it on top gently using your hands.
- Cover the pastry in egg wash and use a fork to poke a few holes into the top.
- Place in the oven and bake for around 30-40 minutes, or until dark golden brown and fully cooked.
- Serve and enjoy.