Prep 10 mins | Cook 1hr 10 mins | Serves 4
Recipe: Jordan Pie / @jordiepieface
- 2 brown onions, diced
- 4 chicken Marylands (room temperature)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- ½ cup sliced green olives
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups of boiling water
- ½ Tbsp Gevity Rx Lemon & Herb Bone Broth Body Glue
- 1 Tbsp sage leaves, chopped
- Salt and pepper to sprinkle on top
Bone Broth Rice
- 2 cups of water
- 1.5 cups of basmati rice
- 2-3 tsp of Natural Bone Broth Body Glue
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Heat a large frying pan and add the coconut oil. Place the chicken skin down and cook until golden brown.
- While the chicken is cooking, add the olives, garlic, thyme and sage evenly into an oven tray.
- Turn the chicken over to brown the other side. Sprinkle the onions into the pan to begin browning them.
- When the chicken is browned and golden, place them into the oven tray.
- Leave the onion in the pan and cook a little more until golden brown. When it’s ready, add it to the tray with the chicken, herbs and olives.
- Mix the broth concentrate, lemon juice and boiling water together until combined. Pour the liquid over the top of the chicken, onions and herbs.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over the top and then place the tray in the oven.
- Turn the oven temperature down to 120C. Cook the chicken for 1 hour, or until the chicken is cooked all the way through.
- In the last 15 minutes of the chicken cooking, pour the rice into a fine-mesh strainer and rinse under running water until the water runs clear.
- Add the rice along with 2 cups of water and the broth to a saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Bring the water and rice to a boil over high heat. Steam should be coming out from under the lid; keep the saucepan covered and don't remove the lid.
- Reduce the heat to very low; the rice grains swell as they absorb the water and broth. If the temperature is too high the bottom of the pot of rice can burn while the top rice is still undercooked.
- Cook for 10 minutes then remove the pot from the heat. Let the rice sit, covered, for an additional 10 minutes without lifting the lid.
- Finally, remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork to separate the grains.
- Serve the chicken with rice and steamed greens or veggies of your choice.
- Replace the rice with a simple cauliflower mash for a low carb option.
- You can use chicken thighs or breasts if your butcher doesn't have Marylands... but you may need to keep an eye on / adjust cooking time