Recipe & images by Nutritionist Jordan Pie
Pick your favourite burger fillings and make these easy and yummy burgers for your next weeknight dinner, barbecue or picnic gathering. Our version is gluten, egg and dairy free + gut friendly because it’s pimped up with our bone broth in the patty and a generous dollop of our Great Guts Mayo
- 5 brown onions
- A sprinkle of salt
- Butter or ghee for cooking
Patties (makes 8-10 depending on how thin you like them)
- 500g beef mince
- 500g lamb mince
- 1.5 Tbsp dried parsley or 2-3 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1.5 Tbsp dried garlic powder or 2 Tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 heaped Tbsp Gevity Rx Natural Bone Broth
- Gevity Rx Bone Broth Mayonnaise
- GF burger bun of your choice
- Peel and slice the onions finely.
- Heat a frying pan on medium heat with some butter or ghee. Add the onion and stir to coat the onions with the butter / ghee. Spread the onions out evenly over the pan and cook, stirring occasionally.
- After 10 minutes, sprinkle some salt over the onions. Let the onions cook for another 10-15 minutes stirring every few minutes. As soon as the onions start sticking to the pan, let them stick a little and brown, but then stir them before they burn. The trick is to leave them alone enough to brown (if you stir them too often, they won't brown), but not so long that they burn. A metal spatula will help you scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan as the caramelization proceeds. Continue cooking until the onions are a rich, golden brown colour.
- Remove from the heat while you prepare the patties.
- Add all the patty ingredients into a bowl and mix evenly. Use your hands to shape the mixture into 8-10 patties.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat and add some butter or ghee into the pan. Start frying the patties 3-4 at a time (not over crowding the pan). Use a spatula to press down and flatten them.
- Once they are cooked through and golden brown on both sides, remove them from the pan. Continue cooking the patties until they’re all cooked.
- While the patties are cooking, prepare the filling ingredients. Slice the tomatoes, gherkins, avocado and tear some lettuce.
- Once all the patties are cooked, remove from the heat and set aside to rest.
- Slice the burger buns in half. Serve them as is, or toast the inside for a few minutes on a frying pan.
- Assemble the burgers. Spread some of the mayo on the bottom of each bun, then layer with lettuce, tomato, avocado, the patties, caramelised onions, gherkins and top with an extra dollop of may and finally the bun.
- Serve and enjoy.