It might be a little basic and very traditional but this slow cooked beef casserole is our founders' go-to winter comfort food recipe, cooked to perfection with dry red wine, garlic, fresh herbs and tender potatoes and carrots. This easy recipe is just like the classic one you grew up with and makes a delicious, heart and belly-warming dinner the whole family will love!
GF DF PALEO
Prep : 20 mins Cook : 7 hours
What you need:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.5kg grass-fed / organic beef chuck, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into chunks
- 4 large carrots (or 5 medium), peeled and cut into thick diagonal slices
- 500g potatoes, diced into ½ inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups filtered water
- 3 tablespoons Lemon & Herb Body Glue™ You could also use Natural or Boost)
- 1 cup dry red wine (or sub extra broth)
- 2 tablespoons organic tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup frozen peas (optional)
- ¼ cup tapioca or cassava flour (for thickening)
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
What to do:
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a large fry pan and place over medium high heat. Add beef, season with salt and pepper and brown in batches - this should take about 5 minute per batch of meat. Transfer to a large slow cooker / pressure cooker.
- Next, mix the Body Glue™ into filtered water till dissolved. Add broth, dry red wine, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, thyme and a little salt and pepper. Stir together with the beef until combined, then add in garlic, onion chunks, carrots and diced potatoes.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. We prefer to cook this slow so that the beef becomes really tender and the flavors have time to intensify.
- Next, remove 1 cup of liquid broth from the slow cooker and transfer to a medium bowl. Whisk in ¼ cup flour until there aren’t any lumps remaining. Add back to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Add in frozen peas and cook uncovered on HIGH for 10-15 more minutes until beef stew thickens up a bit.
- Serve with toasted sourdough, your fav greens or rice. Whatever you choose to serve it with, it will be incredible.