The word casserole screams 80s and just has a daggy vibe to it but who can go past one? Not us! We are here for nostalgic winter meals and this is honestly one of our favourites. Tender chicken flavoured with Lemon & Herb Body Glue™ , leeks (oh hello prebiotic fibre) bacon and mushroom. Oh and did we say bacon 🤤
This is a great recipe to batch cook and freeze … if it lasts that long.
Prep 15 mins | Cook 2 hrs | Serves 4
- 2 tbs EVOO
- 8 chicken thighs
- 2 medium leeks, trimmed, halved, washed, sliced
- 4 rashers free range bacon trimmed, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbs fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup cassava flour (or gluten free flour of choice)
- 2 cups filtered water
- 2 tbs Lemon & Herb Body Glue™
- 200g button mushrooms, quartered
- Cauli or potato mash to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat the oil in a heavy-based, flameproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken in batches, for 5 to 6 minutes each, or until golden. Transfer to a plate.
- Add leek, bacon, garlic and thyme, stirring, for 3 minutes or until leek has softened.
- At the same time mix the Body Glue™ into the water, stirring till dissolved.
- Add Body Glue™ mix and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Now return the chicken to the pot and add mushrooms.
- Pop a lid on and transfer to the oven. Bake for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, remove lid and stir through cassava flour - making sure to mix thoroughly to avoid lumps. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Serve with mash of your choice and fresh herbs.